A couple months ago I was in session and having a tough time explaining how I was feeling in relation to my eating disorder. I kept getting angry at it, because well, it's illogical and wants to ruin lives, and I didn't know how best to explain it. My therapist then suggested that I think about my eating disorder as if it were Donald Trump and we spent the rest of the session cracking up at how insanely accurate this was. If you're still having a hard time understanding an eating disorder, look no further, he's our lovely Commander in Chief.
Here are 5 reasons that my eating disorder is secretly Donald Trump:
1. My eating disorder is just charming enough to have snuck in before I knew how manipulative it could be, and a couple times after I knew just how bad it was for me.
2. My eating disorder is a pathological liar, and nothing it ever says to me is based in any fact in any way. Sound familiar?
3. Not only is my eating disorder a liar, it's also dangerous to listen to. It tells me things like recovery is a bad idea, that I should stay in my relapse, and that the only thing that matters is being thin and giving my life away to the eating disorder.
4. My eating disorder, much like our wonderful president, has a constant stream of chatter and bullshit. If we listen to every single thing that comes out of his mouth (or from his Twitter), we'd drive ourselves crazy. Of course, there are times that we have to pay attention to what he's saying and keep ourselves out of danger. But we have to realize that we have to block out the majority of what he says to keep our sanity.
5. Finally, there is absolutely no reasoning with my eating disorder. It's ED's way or the highway. There is no "recovery" for ED, it's all about getting sicker and devoting all of my time to ED. Oh, I have other relationships that I want to attend to? Doesn't matter to ED! There is no logic, rhyme or reason with my eating disorder around. Some could argue the same for our current leadership.
Most importantly, beyond being hilarious (I think) and amusing my therapist and I in sessions, thinking of my ED as Donald Trump is really helpful for my recovery. It gives me a way to relate the dictator in my head to something in real life, and makes me like my eating disorder even less. There are days where I want to revert to the eating disorder and go back to times where life was "easier". My therapist will check the facts on me and ask if it's Charlotte telling me that, or if it's Donald Trump. It's also a lot easier to tell Donald Trump to shut up when he's taking over my mind!
(This post was not intended to offend anyone, just entertain me. If you can't poke fun in between all the dark, heavy shit, then what can you do?)
Hi, I'm Charlotte! I'm a 22 year old grad student living in NYC. I'm passionate about mental health, Chopped Jr., and making my cat an Instagram star.